This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.


The GP Practice at Ponteland Road Health Centre is now CLOSED. This however does not affect the walk-in service based at Ponteland Road Health Centre.

Complaints Procedure


Although the staff who look after you will do all they can to make sure that you are treated properly and promptly, things do occasionally go wrong. However, we very much take the view that when there has been cause for complaint, it is important to acknowledge this, to put things right quickly and to learn from the experience. We will investigate your concerns as quickly as possible with those who are directly concerned with your care.
This leaflet tells you what to do if for any reason, you wish to complain about your care and treatment at Ponteland Road Health Centre, and explains the NHS complaints procedure.


To whom should I initially complain?

Front line staff
Wherever possible you should talk to someone who is close to the cause of your immediate concern such as the doctor, nurse or receptionist. In many cases the matter will be resolved straight away.
Patient advice and Liaison Service (PALS)
You may wish to raise your concerns with someone who is not involved in your care. The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) aims to advise and support patients, their families and carers, provide information on NHS services, list to your concerns, suggestions or queries and help sort out problems quickly on your behalf.
This service is confidential, and can be contact on
Freephone: 0800 032 02 02
Text: 01670 511098
Complaining directly to Ponteland Road Health Centre
If you wish to complain directly to Ponteland Road Health Centre, you can do so by contacting –
Practice Manager
Ponteland Road Health Centre Cowgate
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tel: 0191 271 9030
Or via our website:


Who can complain?

Anyone who is receiving or has received care at Ponteland Road Health Centre.
If the patient wishes, a relative or close friend can complain on their behalf, however we may need
the patient’s written permission (consent) to provide information to other parties.
If the patient has died, or is a child, or is unable to complain themselves because of physical incapacity or lack or capacity within the meaning of the Mental Capacity Act 2005, the complaint may be made by a person acting as a presentative.


How soon should I make a complaint?

It is important to make the complaint as soon as possible after the event. We normally investigate only those complaints that are either:
 Made no later than 12 months after the event, or;
 Made within 12 months of you realising that you have something to complain about.
These time limits can be extended at the discretion of the Practice Manager if it is clear the complainant had good reason for not making the complaint within the time limit; and notwithstanding the delay, it is still possible to investigate matters effectively and fairly.


What can I expect from my complaint?

In the case of a written complaint directly to the Practice Manager we will aim to contact you within three working days of receipt of your letter.
This may be with a telephone call to gather further details of the incident, to ensure full and correct details have been taken and the discussion will also involve agreeing with you a timescale for the response to your letter of complaint.
Following this conversation an acknowledgement letter will be sent to you and an investigation will begin with appropriate staff members.


What type of concerns are Ponteland Road Health Centre able to investigate?

The Practice Manager will respond to any complaint made about Ponteland Road Health Centre as long as we have the patients consent to do so. We will also respond to any complaint that refers to a decision made by the Practice not to provide a service.
However, we may not be able to investigate your complaint if:
 Your complaint is solely about care that you have received at the Practice managed by another Service, e.g outreach clinics.
 You are an employee of Freeman Clinic’s Limited and the matters raised relate to your contract of employment.
Your complaint refers to medical care that you have received privately, not NHS funded.
 Your complaint is about a matter that has been the subject of a previous complaint and has already been resolved.
 Your complaint is in respect of an alleged failure to comply with the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
 Your complaint involves events requiring investigation by a professional disciplinary body


What can I do if I am not satisfied with the response?

If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you can ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) to review your complaint and our response. You should do this within 12 months of your complaint.
Please note that the PHSO will only agree to review a complaint if you have already asked Ponteland Road Health Centre involved to investigate and seek to resolve the problem for you and where this has not been possible.


And finally,

We want to know when things go wrong so we can quickly put them right for you and can learn from your experience how to improve our services to other people.
As an organisation we would wish to encourage patients and their visitors to comment on any aspect of the service they have experience or anything that would have made their visit to Ponteland Road Health Centre a more pleasant experience.
To help you comment, we have attached a comments slip in the back of this booklet. Please drop these off at Reception.
Each suggestion is taken seriously and wherever possible acted upon.
Alternatively you can contact us via out web page where you can email and comments, compliments, concerns or complaint to
Other useful Contacts
The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
Tel: 0345 015 4033
Further information about the Ombudsman can be found on
Independent Complaints Advocacy Service
North East NHS ICA
(Unit 312)
Aidan House
Sunderland Road
Tyne and Wear
Freephone: 0808 802 3000
NHS England
Complaints Manager
NHS England
Waterfront 4
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE15 8NY

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website